Sunday, April 1, 2012

Happy Birthday Jim, dear!

Jim's Birthday is March 21st, and the weekend before I thought we would go out to dinner, my treat,  at a Restaurant of his choice. We got up and did our usual Saturday house cleaning, and I made cupcakes for a friend at work. Plus it was St. Patrick's day as well, so of course the cupcakes were Keylime... :)
But our day wasn't that good... the weather turned to rain, then snow, I got my cupcakes done, and delivered which was okay, and then we were off to Idaho Falls. We did some shopping, but didn't find any new shirts for Jim to wear to work for a birthday present... is it just me? or are the styles kind of odd right now.... I can't seem to find anything I like....and neither can Jim.
Then we decided to try Texas Road house for dinner... but it was packed with a line outside... not for us. So we went to Johnny Carino's... and got right in with no wait, and on at Saturday night at 6 ish that should have been our first clue..... the rest of the evening was horrible. Has anyone eaten at Johnny's lately?? they used to be my favorite place to eat! What happened? Needless to say, we ended up leaving without eating... well, we did eat our salad's but that's it. Jim was very unhappy. It just seems that it's hard to find a good place to eat out anymore, that we aren't disappointed afterwards and wish we would have saved our money....
But on to Jim's birthday.
Monday after work I went shopping, and got a card, and the 1st season of "the Big Bang Theory" which has started to be Jim's and my favorite show of late, and a package of Dove dark chocolate almonds. I hid them in a drawer. Tuesday I found a recipe for Cheesecake factory's Red Velvet cheesecake cake... Jim had looked at one of my Food network magazine's that had a picture of a Red velvet cake in it in January and had announced that that was what he wanted for his Birthday cake.... I did better because we love to eat at the Cheesecake factory when we can and try out different cheesecakes... So I got that started Tuesday evening.
Sarah even came home Wednesday, and was with us to celebrate Jim's birthday which was great!
I had wrapped Jim's gift and had it ready so that I could put it by his lunch box so he could see it first thing in the morning... and open it. He's not one for a big family party or anything like that. So when I got up and saw that he had opened it, I knew his day was off to a good start.
After work I stopped at Kesler's and got some sirloin steaks... since that is what he said he wanted for his B-day dinner. I also got mushrooms, and fresh asparagus. so we could have balsamic mushroom sauce on top of our steaks with steamed asparagus and roasted potatoes on the side! YUM!
Dinner was yummy! and Sarah made it home just in time! Then I finished icing the cheesecake and we went to Mom and Dad's to sing happy birthday to Jim and have a piece of cake. It did look lovely....
I don't know why I don't get any co-operation from my hubby when it comes to taking his picture... I wanted a pic of him blowing out the candle (which is a long story in it's self.. it's our singing candle) and this is what I get...
Either way.. he's cute...
                                      Then I did a self-timer pic of all of us... aren't we cute??
 a piece of cake for the birthday boy.. I tried to make it look like how they serve their cheesecake at the Cheesecake factory
 It had red velvet cake (although the pics don't look very red) and Cheesecake, then more cake and cheesecake and then a yummy cream cheese frosting with white chocolate slivers shaved on the top! YUM!
 It was delicious... but really rich! Jim was happy with it though. And I saved a piece for Andrew when he came home for the weekend.
We then decided to play a game of scrabble, it's tradition to play scrabble with mom and dad, it's usually just Sarah and me with them, but we talked Jim into it. We always say that if you can write a word that has to do with the holiday that was close to the day we play, in this case ST. Patricks day, and we had a bonus of a birthday, so if you could write green, lucky, or happy, or older or something like that you get double the points of what the word would have originally had. It's way fun and ads a challenge to the game. Jim won!!! can you believe it?? but he's really smart, (and consulted his smart phone) I even had the dictionary and came in 2nd to last... but it was his birthday so he deserved to win.
All in all Happy 48th Birthday Jim!! He's my old man for a month, (and believe me I give him a hard time about it) at least until I turn the same age on April 19th.

3 comments:

Emily said...

What a beautiful and yummy birthday cake! That looks amazing. Love the pictures of you all.

Alison said...

Oh my goodness! Jim's cake looks heavenly! Do you get tired of me drooling over all your cakes?!! Again I wish I could reach into the screen and bring out a big piece to eat right now. And sounds like a fun scrabble game. I love that you play all the time, you with your dictionary. Those will be treasured memories one day!

Kendall and Katy said...

Happy Birthday Jim! The cake looks delicious. And you know why going out to eat it isn't that great anymore...? Because you are such an amazing cook!