Saturday, July 7, 2012

A Hernia Surgery and Memorial Day

I just seem to get further and further behind when it comes to blogging.... life is crazy and sometimes you're lazy.
Jim had been in pain for a while and thought it was because of old age... it finally got bad enough that he asked the doctor about it and found out he had a hernia. He had surgery on May 24th. We went in early that Thursday to the Parkway Surgery center here in town. The surgery was done by Dr. Johanson, who we heard was a good surgeon and Jim had a lot of guys he knew from work recommend him. Surgeries always scare me... I always worry that people won't wake up after being on anesthesia, so I pray really hard about the whole time the surgery is being done! and it worked. Jim woke up, but was a bit groggy as he should have been. The surgery went well, but when they were in there the doc discovered another hernia starting to go down Jim's leg (that explained a lot of the pain) but they put mesh in to repair them both and now Jim is all healed and doing well.
I had taken that Thursday and Friday off to help Jim recover and with Memorial day I would be with him a total of 5 days before I had to go back to work! Yay! but after about an hour of being home with him after his surgery, and making sure he was comfortable, and getting whatever he needed... he looked at me and said "This is going to be a long 5 days".... MEN!!!
I crocheted some headbands for a neighbors daughter to pass the time while waiting for the surgery to be done, and at home while watching T.V. in between helping Jim. I found a cute summer headband pattern that I had to try out....
What do you think?? I thought it turned out cute! I gave it to the neighbors daughter along with the one she requested for a bonus.
Andrew came home Friday night to help me mow the lawn. I was glad he did... we had a cold front move in and rain but we got it done Friday night which was good because it rained super hard Saturday and Sunday... so much for cook outs for the Holiday weekend. Sarah came home too, and we made Smoked Brats, and Peanut Butter S'mores, and Golden Graham S'mores... all inside..I was trying to get a good pic for my recipe blog of the Golden Graham S'mores but the kids were silly...

                                   I should have used this one... they look like they're enjoying them...
                                         Sarah looks like she just can't eat them fast enough...
                                                             YUM!
Anyway... Memorial Day came along with the sunshine... we didn't do anything special because Jim was still recovering, but we did enjoy each other's company, good food cooked indoors, and we remembered those who had lost their lives for our freedom. I am so grateful to have been born in this country, and in the area I was born in. And the family I was born into. And of course Sarah and I did have a couple of good games of Scrabble with Mom and Dad... it's tradition now on the holidays. :)
Then it was back to work for me on Tuesday, and the kids both headed back to Provo and Rexburg for school and work.
I love having my family home....I feel safest when we're all together. But we all have are own lives and things we have to do each day so we go and do the things we all have to do but just look forward to when we'll be together again. I love family.

1 comment:

The Martins said...

The headband you made is so cute! Your hair is really cute too! The s'mores bars look great - I am going to have to make those. Sounds like a good weekend with family!