Sarah found out in her communications/broadcasting class a week before conference, that they needed 9 students to go to conference and do a report on it. Sarah was one that was picked to go. She wasn't sure who she was going to go down with or who she would stay with. So I thought if I could get a motel room in downtown Salt Lake City at this late date, I would go with her. It was Tuesday before conference so I didn't think I'd have much luck. I tried the Plaza, and then the Radison, which had a room but they wanted $150 a night, so I kept trying. Crystal Inn was full, and so was the Shilo, but the lady from the Shilo asked if there were any other motels I wanted to try, so I tried the Sheraton, and they had a room with 2 double beds, and for only $75 a night if I booked it right then! It was meant to be....
I got off work Friday at 2:00 and Sarah had a friend, Andrew Baxter, who's family lives in Centerville and needed a ride down as well. So we all traveled together. Andrew's father is in the Quorum of the Seventies, I found out, and they are from England. And he just got back from a mission to Austrailia last April. He was fun to talk to, had to watch myself or I'd accidently start mimicking his accent. It was a fun drive, Andrew had his laptop loaded with all kinds of 80's tunes, Journey (my fave) Queen, Billy Joel, you name it. So we all just sang all the way to Centerville.
Next Sarah and I went to our motel, it was a lovely room!
We ate at the Spaghetti Factory again. And then went to find an outfit for her to wear to conference. She had a VIP pass and would be allowed in the soundproof room that they let the media in. I didnt' have a ticket, so we were both hoping they'd let me sneak in with Sarah. She found a lovely skirt and blouse at Ann Taylor Loft. And shoes at Aldo's in the gateway mall to wear on Saturday.
So we went back to our motel worn out and went to bed to get rested for our big day.
We had to be at the conference center about an hour before it started. And all went well, we got there, with another friend of Sarah's who had to report on conference too. We parked in the Plaza parking, and walked over. Boy, there are a lot of people, this would be Sarah and my first time ever to conference!
We got up to the door where Sarah had to go and her and her friend got right in, but I couldn't.... I was sad. I felt so alone, and like I'd been turned away at the Pearly gates almost. So I made my way over to the Visitor's Center to wait and hope I could get in in the Stand by line. It was long... went from the gate right across from the conference center all the way around the corner and back by the temple. I had to choke back a few tears even. I waited and waited... and the line slowly started moving. I got around the corner, right across from the tabernacle. And this Venezuela lady came up and asked if this was the Stand by line, it was kind of hard to understand her, but I started talking to her and she didn't want to go to the back of the line, so I let her and her husband cut in with me and pretend to be my friends. There was a missionary boy in front of me too, that had gone to Brazil on his mission, and could talk to them in spanish. It was fun to visit with them all. Then we got told that there was no room left in the conference center. The Venezuela couple went to the chapel, the missionary left to find his sister, and I went to the Tabernacle. It was nice even tho' I had to watch on the big screen.
When it was almost over, while they were singing the closing song, I left to make my way to the conference center to meet Sarah by the fountain. Right outside the gates of the visitor center was a guy dressed as Satan, he was creepy. He made my hair at the back of my neck stand on end. He was ranting a raving and daring anyone to come talk to him about "Joe Smith" and there were others with signs saying "wake up!! it's just a cult,people"!! Goodness... I couldn't walk across the street fast enough. I waited for Sarah by the fountain outside the conference center and saw lots of people
... she got lots of good interviews... I was there to help with some, she had a byu-i news name tag, and an video camera and tri-pod and the works. She looked like a regular news reporter. But she interviewed some neat people, married couples, missionaries, teen-agers, even two cute little 9 year old girls, and they all had one thing in common, that their favorite thing about conference was to get to see and hear the prophet in person, and they bore their testimonies too, and some got tears in their eyes... it was neat.
After that, Sarah and I made our way back to our motel to change and go to Cheesecake factory. I love spending time with my kids. They open up to me and we have some good mother to daughter/son talks. Sarah and I had one of those that afternoon. I love the fact that she can come to me and talk to me about anything. We had a good time eating, then shopped some more. And found the most lovely dress that looked like it was just meant for Sarah. The lady that helped us find the dress was so excited to help Sarah, and find out she was reporting on conference. Almost like Sarah was already a famous reporter! And she asked if Sarah had a boyfriend. She was sad to hear about Dave, and said if it didn't work out she had a 30 year old son she could hook Sarah up with, that was done with school, and even threw in that he could buy a house, hahaha. But anyway, Sarah had to do the afternoon session of conference on Sunday, and wanted something else to wear, so we bought that one.
We shopped until we were both sooooo worn out. Then we ate a California Pizza Kitchen, and then it was back to the motel to sleep and get ready for the next day.
We had a restful night, and then slowly took our time getting ready for the afternoon session of conference. We watched the morning session in our motel.
Then we checked out, and were to meet Andrew Baxter for Sarah to interview in the visitors center.
It was more packed than on Saturday!! I dropped Sarah off at the gates, then parked the car in the plaza again... Free parking there on Sunday!! woo hoo!!!
Then I started to make my way to the Visitor's Center. And Sarah called me and said Andrew had gotten me a ticket!! I wouldn't have to try the stand by line!! woo hooo!! I was excited!!!

Sarah had a good interview with Andrew, and Sarah and I met some of his friends from Hawaii. Then Andrew said we'd better go get our seats!
We got into the conference center, and I thought we'd be up in the balconies or something, and Andrew kept going down the stairs towards the pulpit..... and we were down in the closest section!! I felt lucky!! we could have sat about 6 rows from the front but the camera stand was in our way, so we went back to where we could see good. We were only 19 rows from the front on the left side as you looked at the pulpit, and that's where the prophet sits!! I realized that this section was for the apostles families, and with Andrew's dad being in the Quorum of the Seventies that's where we were!!! I was amazed... my prayer had been answered, I'd made it in and with the most awesome seats ever!! Andrew pointed out his dad up in the seats on the stand and his mom was sitting down in front. Conference was amazing!!! I loved all the talks, and the feeling you get in conference. I kept turning around and looking at the thousands of people that were there. I remember mostly the spirit that was there when the congregation sang "I am a Child of God" I was seated next to a father and son from India, and then it was me and Andrew, who was from England, and we all sang that song. Yes, we are all children of God, I have to admit, I got teary eyed.....
I loved the rest of the talks, and had to keep elbowing Andrew as he fell asleep. :o)
But I remember the prophets closing remarks, then we listened to the choir sing the closing song... it was so peaceful, and quiet in there... with that many people it was amazing. I didn't want to leave! Then the prayer was said and it was time to go. Andrew left to find his family, and I left to find Sarah, and help with more interviews.
It was amazing.... I thought, if those people with signs and the ranting and raving Satan man, could have been there to see and hear what I did, they wouldn't have any doubt that this church was true, how could so many people be wrong? compared to the few people with signs ranting in the streets!! And to hear the testimonies being born as Sarah interviewed people... and that peaceful feeling I had in the Tabernacle. I am soooo sooo thankful I got to experience that. I am so grateful I got a ticket, that is something I will always remember!!!
Later afterwards Sarah and I just had to go eat a California Pizza kitchen again, our new favorite is the thin crust Spinach, Artichoke, Chicken, and sundried tomatoe pizza.. Yummo!
Then we got to go pick up Andrew, and his dad answered the door!!! And asked if my conference experience was better today than yesterday!! OH, I couldn't thank him enough for the ticket! and I got to shake his hand! A member of the Quorum of the Seventies!! How awsome is that!! We visited a few minutes then had to go home.
Andrew and Sarah slept most of the way while I drove. Small little miracles do happen in your daily life.....All in all it was a terrific weekend!
And today I'm baking cookies for Sarah to take back to Andrew for a thank-you!
3 comments:
Wow! That is awesome that you got such good seats at Conference! Sounds like a wonderful weekend. I am so happy that we have Conference every six months to hear the prophet! It's amazing. That's scary about those creepy people protesting with signs and stuff. I'm gad you had such a fun weekend!
mom this was an amazing little post. i'm so glad you got to go to conference with me. it was such a wonderful expereience to share with you! i loved your testimony too in this post. thank you for being an amazing example! :) i love you tons!
Oh wow! That is amazing! I want to take our kids there so much when they're old enough. That's so neat that you got tickets and that you and Sarah made such a great memory of your Conference weekend getaway. She's such a cute little reporter!
Post a Comment