My Uncle Shelton passed away after a long battle with cancer. We didn't think he would live as long as he did when he found out he had it, and especially didn't think he would out live my Aunt Marsha, she got cancer too, and passed away rather quickly a little over a year ago. My Uncle Shelton didn't do well after that, I think he missed my Aunt too much... some people have a marriage that just makes you think "oh cute" ... you know what I mean... one of the old fashioned marriages where you love and respect your spouse, and would do anything for them.... maybe there are a lot more out there than I realize. My parents have one of those marriages too, and I'm trying to make mine one as well. I would do anything for my hubby to make him happy, but anyway, I'm rambling. But after a long courageous battle, my Uncle passed away with most of his kids by his side.
They decided to have the funeral in St. George on Saturday morning, August 20th, and then drive here to Groveland for a graveside service at 8 pm. We knew that all the kids would like somewhere to go after the service to eat and visit, so my mom and I decided to make sandwiches and a few salads, and a cake and have a little get together at my mom and dads.
I came home from work Friday afternoon and decided to clean my house, and then get the groceries I would need for my day of cooking on Saturday.
I also had to give my Relief Society lesson on Sunday, on Eternal marriage, and make a hand out for the "Read the Book of Mormon in 30 days" Challenge that the relief Society did. Goodness what a weekend!
I got up early on Saturday and made a macaroni salad, and potato salad and a Carrot sheet cake. Then I had to go get lunch meat for the sandwiches. Some people in the ward made desserts too, so we had plenty. Don't you love the church and the people in it??
Sarah came down for the weekend which was nice, she was good help and company. We danced in the kitchen together while icing the cake. (she took a video of us, and I hope she doesn't post it on FB, although I had some awesome moves!!)We worked up a sweat.... I love my daughter and the fact that she brings out the younger me when we are together...
We went to a wedding reception and then it was time for the graveside service. It was nice, since Shelton was in the army they did a 21 gun salute and played taps, that always makes me cry. It was nice to see cousins that I hadn't seen in a while, but it's a sad reason to get together. I felt sad for my dad, Shelton was his last living sibling. They were always close, and boy would they laugh when they got together remembering all the fun times they had when they were younger. Dad thought he would be okay, but when I asked him how he was doing he said he was surprised and thought he could handle it, but he was feeling a little down. That made me sad. But I like to imagine the happy reunion my uncle and aunt had together.
Everything went well afterwards at my parents house, we had enough food, and it was fun to visit and all the kids seemed grateful for all we did.
Then Sunday morning came too fast after a night of thunder and lightening.... I couldn't sleep well. I woke up early too, I still hadn't prepared my lesson. But I did ok, the ladies seemed to enjoy it. I had a couple of Mormon messages that Jim had helped me download onto Andy's lap top, and it all went well.
Sunday afternoon was nice, but I was soooo worn out I didn't think I could get up in the morning for work. I called in sick and just slept, I think that was what I needed. Later, Jim, Sarah and I had a weenie roast... Andy had his first day of school at ISU and was tired when he got home so he fell asleep, and he missed out on this one.
After our weenie roast I had to pick beans..... and I noticed that there were 2 little birds in between the 2 rows of beans.... I didn't want to disturb them so I picked the rows on the outside. Jim said they were baby morning doves....
Aren't they cute? I Love the way morning doves sound... they coo a bit. I thought maybe the one was hurt and the other didn't want to leave it, but the next day I went to finish picking my beans and they flew up into the tree right by the garden. I think they like the coolness of the ground and the plentiful bugs that are out there. They are still there, and I pick my beans and they go into the next row that I am not. It's cute that they stay together... everyone and everything has a someone....I've named them Burt and Phylis.Life is funny....... no matter what comes at you, you just do it and get through...people come and go in your life and you love them and then have the hope of seeing them again in the eternities after they are gone, and you just try to show them how much you love them while you are together, and not take them for granted.
The world is a beautiful place if you just know where to look, and sometimes it jumps out and scares you a bit as if to say 'notice me' (like my morning dove did the other day, and I screamed, I think we gave each other a good scare) and I realize what a grand and kind Heavenly Father we have... to put us here and give us the beautiful things to appreciate, and each other.......

2 comments:
oh i loved this. i love what you said at the end :) i agree. life is beautiful!
Burt and Phylis! I love it! You're so cute. Love your firepit! And I agree with you and Sar, life IS beautiful.
Post a Comment