Saturday, January 28, 2012

Birthday's and Hats

It's amazing how clean my house stays with both of my kids out of the house now... and how quiet it has been. I find myself singing full force while cooking just to make some noise in the evenings. This last couple of weeks Jim has had to work late and didn't get home until 8:30 pm. And I found myself getting scared!! Scared to be outside grilling steaks... thinking that there could be a serial killer in my pine trees, scared to walk by Andy's empty room... thinking that I would suddenly see a tall figure wearing one of his scary masks standing in the doorway, scared to walk down my dark hallway... just plain scared to be home alone, and I'm a grown woman!! So I found that if I come home and turn the lights on through out the house and sing to my favorite music at the top of my lungs the house isn't quite as scary... I even talk to myself as I walk out to grill anything. Funny how just knowing someone is home in another room makes you feel safe.
Anyway, I occupied my time crocheting hats... those slouchy beanies everyone has been wearing. They are quick and fun to make. Sarah had said that she wanted one, so I bought yarn, found patterns and got busy.
I made a cream colored one, and then I had a skein of yarn that was multicolored in blacks & grays
Sarah is supposed to be taking a picture of herself wearing them but so far I haven't gotten one.
Last weekend Andrew came home... it was his 23rd Birthday on Friday the 20th. He requested shrimp Po'boy's for dinner and a chocolate cake.... so I made an 'Amazing Chocolate Cake' recipe that I got from my niece's blog, and frosted it with my butter cream frosting, I even put 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips in about 1 cup frosting to put in between the chocolate layers, and iced the rest with the plain butter cream, then I made a chocolate ganache and poured over the top!
I hoped that was chocolaty enough for him. I also had some leftover icing from my 'Lofthouse' sugar cookies so I had enough light blue to do a trim around the bottom and write on the top!

We ate our dinner and then Mom and Dad came over for a little birthday party and cake for Andrew....
                                                        aren't my parents cute??
                        when you get to be 23 all you get are cards...and hopefully with money in them.
                                       Andy didn't do to bad...ended up raking in $100 all together!
               I always seem to have a hard time getting a good pic of me and Jim... he's either making a funny   face and I look silly
                                                              or we look really cheesy!!!
But Andy enjoyed his birthday....
 notice the one candle... it plays 'Happy birthday' when you twist it and we always try to sing along with it but end up laughing or off key... it's become a birthday tradition to have the singing candle on our cakes....
                                  And as you can see we all enjoyed the cake.........................
The weekend went by way too quick.... I sent Andy on his way home with food from my pantry, clean laundry, and the rest of his cake to share with his roomies. Then it was time to think about another week of work. I have been trying to eat healthier and exercise. The exercise part is okay... I have done pretty good, at least better than I was doing which was being a couch potato. I was trying healthier recipes too, like chicken fricassee, ratatouille, and lots of grilled meat and veggies, and soups... but I miss baking!! I get bummed when I"m not baking.... So I made sugar cookies for work, and I tried Mexican brownies and took them to work too!  How am I supposed to lose weight and still bake at the same time???
hmmmm........oh well, now I'm off to make tamales for dinner tomorrow... not too bad if you serve them with a tossed salad and black beans on the side. But I really want to try a yummy looking cake mix cookie recipe I found... ...we'll see.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Wow, I want a piece of Andy's cake! I'm glad he had a nice birthday. He's such a nice boy. I hope he's liking school and all. I wish we had a singing birthday candle, what a cute tradition. You're so funny about coming home to an empty house how you turn on all the lights and sing at the top of your lungs! You're SO cute!!! I like the pictures of you and Jim, I think they're great! Dave is the same way, always making faces. I wanted to tell you thank you for your kind comments on my blog always! You always make me feel good, I appreciate them! And I am trying to enjoy my kids although there are hard moments. Thank you for your advice and love! I love you!