There was a deacon up where all the deacon's sit before the meeting starts and he was in an electric wheelchair. I kind of watched here and there a little, and all the other boys would talk and whisper to each other and they'd all smile and it made you smile back.
Then when it was time for the sacrament, the boy in the wheelchair went up and they handed him a tray, and he drove his wheel chair all the way across the front of the chapel to the wheel chair ramp, and up he went and all the way across the front to where the Bishop sat and gave him the Sacrament. Then the rest of the boys did their part and the sacrament continued. But what struck me was the big smile on the boys face as he drove his wheelchair up to the podium where the Bishop sat. I couldn't help but cry.... he was so happy to be able to serve our Savior, and the feeling there was so neat, even with all the crying babies and such. I learned later he had just been ordained a deacon a couple of weeks earlier, and in the old building they used to be in , he'd have to be lifted up to pass the sacrament to the Bishop because their wasn't a ramp for his wheelchair, he has muscular dystrophy. And he and the other boys were all smiling before because he was going to be able to do it by himself.

And I was reminded of another time I went to a farewell for my nephew Michael, there was an older boy, that sat up by the boys that prepare the Sacrament while we sing the hymn.... and they lifted him up from sitting to stand by them, and gave him a piece of bread to break, he had one hand that stayed up by his shoulder and the fingers couldn't grasp very well, but he helped those boys prepare the Sacrament and again I couldn't help but cry. To think of the trials these boys go through in their everyday lifes and there they were with smiles on their faces and willing to serve their Savior. It made the Sacrament hit home to me, and feel the spirit during that quiet time so much more so than usual... and I realized that no matter what, we should always have a smile on our faces while we serve the Lord or act in his stead. I'm so thankful that I got to be there at those two instances, and I thank those boys and their families and the friends around them for being an example to me of how the Savior would be. I love the Sacrament song of "In Humility, Our Savior" and everytime I hear it, I'm going to try to think of these two special young men, and remember the spirit I felt today.
Thanks for letting me share that moment and feeling I had today...
We had a nice day at Jill's eating sandwiches with family and friends, and I can't imagine ever being without family, friends, babies, and toddlers, and grand parents, that's all that matters in this life, and the memories we share together.
I love Sundays.......
1 comment:
wow this is an awesome experience. i remember that boy at michaels farewell. i thought it was so neat. i cried when you said how happy this little wheelchair boy was to drive up the ramp and pass the sacrament and that all the boys were happy too! the Gospel is amamzing and so wonderful! it amkes me happy to know we all get to be together forever cuz you and grammpa and grampa and andy and dad and all our family are the most amazing wonderful people that i couldnt imagine life without! love ya :)
Post a Comment