Saturday, August 28, 2010

A quick trip to Walla Walla, Washington

Well Jim had been feeling like he should go on a quick trip to Walla Walla and help his mom out with things around the house that she couldn't do by herself. The trouble was picking a weekend that we could go. We finally figured with my work schedule and his the only weekend that would work out was August 21. So we left on Wednesday, the 18th, evening after work. Didn't leave till 6:30 after getting off and getting packed. We had to do some shuffling with our church jobs, and other obligations. The kids couldn't go with us this time because of their work and things going on. So it was just me and Jim. Here we are heading down the road, with plans to stay at the Holiday inn in Boise that we pricelined the night before.


Drove for what seemed like forever, then made it to our motel, and checked in. We hadn't eaten dinner except for pretzel's and almond M&M's, so we drove around construction and traffic jams and finally found a McD's that was still open (it was about 11:00 pm.) A big mac never tasted so good. Then we crashed, we both had our own double bed.... hmmmmm

We woke up and got an early start for Walla Walla...

had to take a picture of this sign. The first time Jim took me to Walla Walla to meet his family before we were married, I was reading a book while he drove, and all of a sudden he screamed "Lookout! Mountain!" and scared me to death. Then I realized he was being silly, and had just read the sign.... hahahaha...now everytime we pass this part of the drive, we scream "Lookout!! Mountain!"

Stopped in LaGrande Oregon at Wendy's for lunch.....

After driving through more construction, we knew we were getting closer....

I tried to take a pic of the Walla Walla sign, but my camera focused on the bug splatter on my window instead of the sign, I thought that was kind of funny....

We made it to Walla Walla, and after unwinding from our drive, we went to get paint and things that we needed to paint Virginia's carport posts. Then we ate at Tiki Terriyaki Grill and I got fish tacos! Yummoooo! We rented movies for the weekend, and started with "shutter Island" it was good but creepy. I had a hard time staying awake tho', the drive wore me out!

Friday morning we got up and Jim started scraping paint, and puttering around cleaning out rain gutters and stuff.
Then it was time to paint!!



it got up into the 90's and pretty soon I was the only one left painting!! Jim and his mom were drinking green tea in the shade. But I always say I'd rather be too hot than to cold any day. When you're too cold it's almost painful, but if you're too hot all you do is sweat....

Friday night, we got Papa Murphy's pizza, and Cari and J.D. came over. We had a good visit. Then they left cuz their kids got home from work. Jim, Virginia and I watched a Bruce Willis cop show which wasn't very good so Virginia and I fell asleep, and Jim finished it.

Saturday we got up and went to the Walla Walla Farmer's Market. Then walked around the main street of town. I loved the hanging baskets of flowers everywhere... wish my hanging basket would get so full... I love the little shops and boutiques they have in downtown Walla Walla, fun to browse through. They had a bread store and Virginia bought some pastries....

After our walk around town, we came home to watch our third movie " The lovely bones" it was a good movie but creepy cuz their really are creepy guys out there in this wicked world.

we had to try out the pastries Virginia bought!

They were yummo!

Then we drove around Walla Walla to see what was new, and what hadn't changed since Jim had lived there. Then we went to J.D. and Cari's for a BBQ. We had grilled corn from the farmer's market... Yummo! and hamburgers and chips! Delish! Then we visited. Here's a picture of Jim's neice Breanna, who goes off to college this week, and their dog Slick, who wasn't feeling like his usual self. Justin didn't get home till later, wish I would have snapped a pic of him. J.D. and Cari refused to have their picture taken.

Then we had to go home to get to bed before heading back to Idaho on Sunday. It was a good visit. We painted the carport posts, put new faucets in the main bathroom, and fixed the sink leak, cleaned the rain gutters, and sprayed the lawn for weeds. I think Jim wants to go again in the spring and fix the sprinkler system. It was fun to visit, I dont' think we've been to Walla Walla for four years!


We had to get up early Sunday, Jim wanted to be on the road by 8:00 am... here we are packing. We didnt' leave till 8:30 ...

here's a pic of the finished carport posts... they look really nice!

Then while we were driving the scenery was really pretty so I tried to get a couple of neat shots.... not sure if I did...




Then we made it back to Idaho... and the closer we got to Blackfoot, the stormier the weather got. It rained and thundered and lightening'd from Twin Falls till we got home. But we made it and we were glad to see our kids. It was a fun little trip.
While we were driving I was thinking and thinking.... You know what I would love to do?? Especially if I had the money??? I would love to go to culinary school and study to be a pastry chef. Then open my own little Bakery, and call it DJ's cookie shack. I would have all kinds of cookies and brownies... and homemade breads to buy... and I would make wedding cakes and cupcakes in all kinds of flavors... that would be my dream come true. And I would have it in a fun little town, where people would actually buy that kind of stuff, and I'd make beautiful wedding cakes... Oh it would be sooooo fun!!!
As you can tell, I did a lot of day dreaming while driving home.... oh.. if I had a million dollars.........

3 comments:

Kendall and Katy said...

Looks like a fun trip! I lost my shoes in Walla Walla one time. ;-)
BTW- If I had a million dollars I would invest in your business!

Jared and Jill Turner said...

...like you would even need to go to culinary school. You could just open your own business now!

Alison said...

Wow! What a great trip! I love the camera focusing on the bug on your windshield! Too funny! It would be MY dream for you to open a little bakery too! You would be perfect at that. And I agree with Jill, do it now! You could TEACH culinary school! :)