Saturday, September 11, 2010

I feel special.......

Well, I've been sick with a head cold the last couple of days, one of those where you're congested in the back of your throat, and cough and are headachy. Last night I snored so bad I had to go sleep in our extra bedroom/craftroom so Jim could sleep. I had a rather sleepless, tossing and turning kind of night. I hate those. I got up early to help Andrew get off to work, he had to be to work by 8 am. I always feel its tradition for me, kind of, to look out the window or sit on the steps and wave to whomever is leaving the house. (did you ever see the movie "Ever After"? Cinderella does that to her father) Anyway, I decided to sit out on my steps and wave to Andy as he drove away on this frosty, chilly morning, the sun was just coming up and shining right on my steps, it felt good. All of a sudden I hear a whirring, humming sound, and look, and there's a little hummingbird not 2 feet away from me, hovering just above my pot of purple petunias. We sat and looked at each other for what had to be a complete minute, and then it flew down along my flower bed, and then hovered about 6 feet off the ground for another minute as if saying goodbye, and then flew away over the house.

I always feel special and that I'm going to have a lucky day when I see a hummingbird because I don't see them very often. I remember the day I was going to the hospital to get my tonsils out when I was about 8. On the walk up to the door, my mom and I saw a hummingbird, and she said "Diane, you're going to have a lucky day, your surgery is going to go well, and you'll be just fine." And I did! I got to go home right after the surgery cuz I didn't bleed much. Back then, you'd usually end up spending the night in the hospital for a tonsilectomy. So since then, I've kind of considered seeing a hummingbird a special thing!
Have a great day! I'm going to!!

1 comment:

Alison said...

Oh how cute! I love it that you saw a hummingbird when you got your tonsils out, what a cute memory of you and your mom. And such a cute tradition to sit on the steps and wave whenever someone leaves. I need to be a good mom like you! Your kids will always remember and love that you did that.