Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I love being a Mom

Sunday was Mother's Day. And Sarah came home Saturday night, so both of my kids were home. I love that I was able to be a mom. I love my kids, nothing brings such joy and happiness as being a mom. And of course there are sad times, and times you worry, and some times when you wake up in the night and worry about what your daughter is up to, or wonder where your son is, or you worry that they have enough money, and wonder who they will marry, and hope that they get into the college they want so they can pursue a career of their choice and be happy.... all of it's worth it though.
I remember the day I had Sarah, I cried when they first layed her on my stomach, and then when I got to see her in the nursery again, and then when I had Andrew,and when they peeked his little face over the curtain after my c-section, I cried. I have been blessed with two healthy kids, and they both are beautiful.

I love them sooo much and have so many fond memories. When Jim would go out to sea they became the two best friends I had. We would go for long walks around the navy housing neighborhood in Bremerton, and we'd get piles of books from the library to read every night before bed, we would eat popcorn and read and we'd laugh. We painted together, I made summer shorts and things for them, Andy always loved to help me cook (Sarah did a little but didn't like to as much as Andrew), later when they got bigger we did lots of school projects together, and they started to read books to me, I would try to go on all their class field trips that I could, and tried to make the holidays and birthdays special. Then when they got in high school, they spent less time at home, and more time with their friends, but we have lots of fun memories to keep and hold dear as they start their own lives away from home. There is nothing better than being a mom in my opinion.

I had a great example of a great mother in my Mom.

My Mother is beautiful!!
She had 9 kids and loved each one of us as much as a mother loves any child.
In this picture are the first 4 kids, Nancy, Kim, Gary in Mom's lap, and my oldest sister Linda.

Then they had my sister Marilyn, then Jan...and
Then came me!!I was lucky number 7!

after me was my sister Juli, and then Brian.
I remember my mother trying to help me be brave when I was asked to give a talk in Primary, then when I couldn't and I ran out of the primary room she brought me home and we both cried, me cuz I was scared and she was crying for me being scared. I remember going through a stage of being camera shy, and she would try to get me to be in the home movies dad would take. I remember her doing my hair for school by making it into ringlets around her finger, and all the while telling me she always prayed that she would have a daughter with hair like Shirley Temple, and when I was born her prayer had been answered (later I remember being angry about that when my hair was soooo curly all I could do was wear it in an afro, but that was the style). I remember her always having a hot meal ready for us when we got home starving from school. I remember her helping me with my school projects, learning to cook, learning to sew, and smiling when I gave her a bouquet of dandelions or paper roses that were held together with LOTS of masking tape. I remember her reading books, and teaching me how to play the piano, and going to church. Now that I"m older I call everyday, and get encouragement on things with my children, and what to do to teach my relief society lessons,and finally being brave enough to be able to give a talk in sacrament meeting and sometimes she just listens when I need to talk.
My dad was devastatingly handsome too (if you ask me)

sometime I will have to write down their stories of how they met....
On Sunday we watched the video of my parents 50Th wedding anniversary ... I cried. I love my family. And both my parents have been the best parents anyone could have. They loved all their children and many grandchildren so much, and taught us the gospel and how to be happy in this world. I hope I can live my life as well as they have lived theirs. Family is the most important thing in this world, and I love the gospel too because then we can be a family forever, and I wouldn't want it to be any other way.
I'm soooo happy that this man

met and married this woman....

Happy Mother's day.

2 comments:

Alison said...

I loved this post! Loved seeing all the old photos and hearing your memories. I have always felt lucky to be part of this family!

P.S. Your flowers turned out gorgeous!

Kendall and Katy said...

What a wonderful post! It was fun to see the old photos of your parents! What a handsome couple!