Saturday, October 29, 2011

Autumn time... and fun things....

Don't you love Autumn time?? I love it when it's still kind of warm during the day but there's a little nip in the air... and the leaves start to turn orange, yellow and red.. It's beautiful. I hate to think of winter coming and snow so I try to enjoy each fall day as much as I can. And with the fall comes harvesting my garden... I've canned beans, italian tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, spicy tomatoe chutney, and tonight I canned my first batch of homemade apple pie filling with apples from our one little apple tree... YUM!
 I've even canned some plum jam from the plums I got from the neighbors tree. My dream would be to have a little country style bakery with cookies and cupcakes for sale.... and a few different kinds of homemade breads... and I would have canned jams, pie fillings, and other yummy things in cute jars with fabric and ribbons tied around the top. I would make holiday crafts to sell along with headbands made from both fabric and some crocheted ones and other fun things.... Don't you love to dream??? (if that really came true would I have time to make all that stuff???)
Anyway... It seems ever since I got back from Disneyland my days have been busy... either with working at the office 9 to 10 hours days or when I get off at the normal time, I'm canning... or cleaning ... or crafting.
And since Halloween is upon us I had to get out my 'spookalies' and decorate my house....
Robert P. Grimley came back..(the P stands for 'putrid')and so far he is behaving himself.. last year during a really stormy night, he flipped around and was knocking to be let in..( kind of freaked me and Andrew out a little).... along with Uncle Felix and Aunt Merna in the flower bed.... and I've added a few "spooky" things inside as well...
I replaced my candles that are usually on this plate with a skull... and I got this idea of a website I ran across...
and I got this idea off another website.... I had a shadow box frame in my craft room that I hadn't done anything with, some fun scrapbook paper, and a spider cutout leftover from a halloween bouquet that Sarah had recieved, and of course my cricut.......
Then one afternoon I went with Andrew to Rexburg to get an apartment and classes picked out for his semester at BYU-I and I hung out in Porters while he talked to his school advisor. They had fun wooden letters and halloween paper, so I got some and this is what I did....
I painted the sides of the letters dark brownish black and then modpodged the cute paper on, once it was dry I sanded the edges and then tied the letters together with black ribbon... kind of cute I think...
I also got small wooden blocks to paint and modpodge scrapbook paper on, and was going to cut the letters "s p o o k y" out in vinyl lettering for them but I haven't had time for that yet.... maybe next year???
Now I'm thinking of making treats for my office on Monday.. I'm thinking of making eggnog flavored cupcakes with vanilla pudding filling (colored red for quagulated blood)and a eggnog cream cheese frosting decorated like this....
and I want to make these peanut butterfinger eyeballs....
and if I have time I would like to make guacamole and chips and serve it like this...
I even got a small pumpkin to carve if I decide to do that.... Don't you just love Halloween..... I just wish it was still like the good ole days when kids would go trick or treating house to house instead of at trunk or treats.... but I guess that it is safer to trunk or treat these days....
OH! I almost forgot! I made a cake for a friend at works daughter....
She wanted to have a princess party... and loves music and stuff.. so this is what I did, my friend bought the tiara that's on top.. it was soooooo fun to make!!! I even made my own fondant and flavored it lemon, and the bottom layer was key lime with keylime white chocolate frosting under the fondant, and the top layer was lemon cake with raspberry filling and a lemon raspberry white chocolate frosting under the lemon fondant.... yumm! and yes those are music notes I made out of gumpaste haning off the wires... (not little black ducks)...
Sarah also came to visit this last weekend.. we had lots of fun crafting, going to lunch together, just talking, playing scrabble with my mom and dad, and watching Harry Potter every night... we didn't quite get through all of them.. Sarah had never been interested in Harry Potter until now so we tried to catch her up. I am always happiest when everyone is home and we're all together... it's like Heaven on earth!
Whew... what a fun filled month this has been....
Now to get ready and anticipate Thanksgiving and Christmas.......

2 comments:

The Martins said...

I love the cake you made. The notes are really cute - and they don't look like ducks! Haha. I love your Halloween decorations! I remember the story of Robert P. Grimley knocking on your door last year. That would scare me to death! :) I am jealous of your apple tree and apple pie filling. I love autumn time too, especially with all the canning and the beautiful leaves.

Alison said...

I love all your decorations too! The skulls are so spooky, and the BOO letters turned out cute. The spewing pumpkin is hilarious! Your cake is adorable. You are so crafty! I would love to visit your fun shop one day with all the fun handmade things! I hope one day your dreams come true!