Sunday, July 28, 2013

I'm still here...

Where does the summer go??? and where does the time go??? I've had a good summer so far. I got called to be the assistant camp director and was ready to say no and then I thought I had better go and help the camp director. It's a big job, you start at the beginning of the year going to meetings, and planning , making up skits, menus, and getting stuff organized.
I am not a camper... I don't like sleeping out, and I have to get up in the night to use the bathroom , and I wasn't close to the girls, and the other leaders since being released from Young Women's and being put in Relief Society.
But that was where my summer went ... planning girls camp, practicing skits and all that.
To be honest I was praying that camp would be cancelled. .... but then I thought, ok.. that's not realistic. I was called to that position for a reason... so I changed my prayer to help me do what I needed to do, to get through, that we'd have the best camp site for us (close to porta potties) and shade... that I'd get to know the girls more, and the leaders..... and to get through it all.
Camp week came, and we finally had the trailer packed, all the food bought, and we made it there... got the tents up, and we were there....
I love the girls camp meadow... the spirit you feel there, and just enjoying nature is wonderful. The nights are beautiful and it was close to being a full moon. (i found the above picture just random on the internet and it reminded me of the full moon at night and the pine trees)
I had fun... the food was good and we had plenty... I always worry about running out of food when I feed a crowd.... I slept good.. only got up once all 3 nights.. and walked in the quiet moonlit night to the porta potty.... I got to know the girls a little better and the other leaders......
I learned some good lessons....
some of which are----don't judge people by what others tell you.... they are really good people. They just have different personalities... and don't join in gossip....I have decided to just say good things about people... and if people don't like me... well that's ok and if someone does something that's irritating I"m keeping it to myself. You can't have everyone like you... there are people that I like more than others... but we are all just living life and trying to survive. I learned that some people that are the hardest to live with are going through some really trying times in there lives..... I've learned that the world does not revolve around me and not everyone cares about every detail of my life or how I'm feeling... but I know some one who does... and all I have to do is get down on my knees or whisper a silent prayer and He's there... and sometimes the answers to those prayers comes through others .. that bring you a diet mountain dew at the right time.. and who make you realize there are good people out there... or a nice little surprise of a 'thank-you' in the mail box instead of a bill.... or a nice little message  on fb when you need it....
sometimes the people you least expect too, answer your little heartfelt prayers...
sometimes the things you didn't want to do and prayed wouldn't happen are the little tender mercies that help you grow and change and maybe become a better person.....
I hope I can be the kind of person that was I was shown at camp... and help others when I get a little prompting...and not worry so much about the me's and the 'look at what I can do's' in my life....
anyway.. that is what I learned at camp....

2 comments:

Emily said...

I loved reading the things you learned at girls camp. What wonderful thoughts - thanks for sharing. I admire you for going to girls camp when you don't enjoy camping! I think you would be such a fun girls camp leader.

Alison said...

Didi, I love you. Thanks for sharing your heart. I feel the same way too, so many times, and I'm going to follow your example. So glad it all turned out well.

And thanks for all of your comments on my blog!!! It made me laugh to see 30 new messages in my inbox all from my cute Aunt Didi. Totally made my day!! Thanks so much for caring. It made me feel loved. :)