Well, I think I've reached a turning point in my life. On Andy's birthday, I got to go to my anual checkup. Found out that the fibroids i was beginning to get last year had grown some, so I had to go get a pelvic ultrasound. This proved that Dr. Molly was right, I had some growing going on.. which made it so things were double in size and could interfere with other things internally, so it was recommended I have surgery and have a complete hysterectomy. And since the Dr. was going to do that he decided I might as well have my appendix out too. Yippee!
So this Monday I go in for surgery in the early a.m.
All this has me thinking, I remember about 24 years ago when I found out I was pregnant with Sarah, and what a turning point that was in my life. I enjoy being a Mom and loved taking care of my little girl, then a couple years later I was blessed with having Andrew. When you're a Mom that's all that matters, taking care of your babies, (and hubby too of course) and you watch them grow up, while helping them with the milestones of their lives, school, and teen years. You wouldn't give any of that up for anything, my favorite memories are of my kids, and the fun times we've shared together, the laughter, the tears, the frustrations, and the high moments when they've accomplished different things in their lives. And it seems things you like and want to do get put on the back burner.
Now my kids are grown, Sarah's off on her own (mostly), and Andy needs me less, (except to help type college papers) so I guess this surgery is happening about the time that my kids leave home too, kind of a start of the empty nester part of my life. So it's fitting kind of (maybe I"m corny) that the things that brought my kids into this world leave about the time they are leaving home.
Which in a way brings me to a "me" part of my life again?? When hopefully I can start little projects that I've been wanting to do and exercising and taking care of myself. And maybe discovering a part of me I didn't know was there.. maybe it was hiding inside while I helped my kids with their lives. Now I get to discover weddings, the joy of grandkids, and growing closer to my husband.
I'm scared for my surgery, but hopefully with all the prayers that have been promised my way, things will all go okay, and I'll be fine after some recovering time, and letting people wait on me for a change... then when I'm up and going again... the spring will just be beginning and life will go on.. but maybe I'll find a little more of 'me' again.... we will see...........
3 comments:
I really liked this post. There are always so many challenges to adjust to with change, but so many joys and blessings that come with the change too. That's fun that you are going to focus on projects you want to do and think of it as a new beginning! Good luck with your surgery on Monday - we will be thinking of you and praying for you!
Oh mom this was a good blog! Change is scary, but like Em said it brings joys and blessings. It is a new turning point in life. Just think of all the exciting things that are going to happen! :) You'll get to do more things for you and so many new and exciting things are in store for you :) I love you and appreciate all the sacrafices you have made for me! You have done more than I can even say :) You have changed my life and are my hero mom! I look up to you in everything and I hope one day I can be as wonderful as you are!!!! Even if I'm just a speck of how wonderful you are I will be sooo lucky! You're the best woman I know! I'm so so grateful for you and don't know what I would do without you in my life! I'm grateful for the all the advice and fun memories and look forward to many many more! We have tons of adventures in store for us! : ) I'm excited to see what the future has in store! I'm glad we will experience things together! You're my very best friend and I love you so so so so so so so much :) Thanks for being a wonderful role model, mother, and friend! I know thigns will go well Monday and that your recovery will go well too! I'll be there to take care of you! And even tho change is scary, its usually not as bad as we think it will be! :) A new begining is always fun! The future will bring so many wonderful things! JUst like you said, weddings, grandbabies, doing things for you, projects, and being closer with dad. We'll have many wonderful things to look forward to! :) I'm so grateful for you and love you so so so much! You are the very best! Thanks for being the greatest mom I could ever ask for! :) You've always been my favorite person in the world! I'll be right there to help you recover and look forward to the new stage of life! :) You're wonderful and beautiful mom! I love you tons!
I love you Di-di! Such good thoughts on motherhood and raising kids. You do give everything when you're a Mom - and I think you are one of the BEST moms there has ever been. You're kids are so blessed to have you (and Jim too!) Good luck with your surgery on Monday. You will (and have been) in our prayers!
Post a Comment