Thursday, March 10, 2011

A funny incident.....



Has anyone been feeling bummed lately??? Is it just me?? I have felt so bummed, not really depressed, but just blah, maybe it's because I miss the sunshine, maybe it's because I want spring to hurry and get here, but I have had no energy. I haven't wanted to do anything... not even cook. And then when I do, who wants to do the dishes?? not me!! Ugh! I've tried exercising and got myself entangled in a good book and walked for 45 minutes last night, and 40 again tonight, and it's helped a little, but I was still feeling blah.
Then tonight, a horrible storm came up, wind and driving rain, and yes I think I even heard thunder. Jim had taken the garbage can out to the street because it's our garbage pickup day tomorrow and you never know when the garbage truck is going to come by, sometimes early early, and sometimes not until 3 in the afternoon. Sarah had come home from seeing a friend, and then decided to take an old movie down to my parents to watch with them. I always have to wave goodbye to whom ever leaves our house while I look out the window... did you ever see the movie "Ever after" where Cinderella runs out to wave to her dad as he rides his horse down the lane, and she says "its tradition" and runs out to wave goodbye waiting for him to look back, well, that's kind of how I feel, so I had to peek out the window and wave good-bye to Sarah as she drove away. And that's when I noticed the garbage can lid had blown open. Do you think I could just let it go?? I tried, I finished watching the kick off of American Idol and tried to ignore the flapping garbage can lid.... but no....
After American Idol was over, I grabbed my gray hooded sweatshirt and put on my Black slipper shoes, you know the kind that look like slippers but are really shoes?? And I still had my exercise sweatshorts on (am I painting a good picture yet??) and was going out to brave the storm to save my garbage from flying all over the neighborhood.
As I shut the door behind me I noticed a milk jug out in the middle of the lawn, and thought.. "well, I'm out here I might as well pick that up too". So off I went, sprinting across the grass, grabbed the milk carton then turned to run to the garbage can. Well I miss judged where I was and caught one foot on one of the railroad ties that line our driveway, and lost a shoe, and almost fell, so I started flapping my arms like a bird trying to take flight and then proceeded to lose my other slipper shoe and landed with both feet in a big puddle. Then I waddled over to where the garbage can was and it had completely blown over, so I picked that up and chased garbage around a bit but managed to get everything back into the can and pick up the can. I couldn't see my shoes cuz it was dark (thank heavens or the neighbors would have thougth I'd lost my mind) So I ran back inside to get a flashlight. Once inside Jim looked at me with a 'what are you doing??? and never mind I don't want to know' kind of look. And I tried to tell him what an adventure I'd been on, and all of sudden I just broke out into hysterical laughter!! I laughed so hard and kept thinking of what I must of looked like out there flapping my arms half bent over... like a gray goose flying south for the winter, and I proceeded to laugh so hard I had tears streaming down my face.... Have you ever seen "The Money Pit" with Tom Hanks in it?? you know the part where the Bath tub falls through the floor and he laughs uncontrollably for 5 minutes?? Well... that was me.
Anyway, after I calmed down, Jim (who had not even cracked a smile yet) looked at me and said, "you know, after all these years, I've never known the railroad ties to move"......which made me laugh even more... and NO he didn't even laugh at all. So I calmed down. Got a flash light ... went out again and found my shoes, and grabbed the garbage can to bring back to the side of the house so it wouldn't blow away. Then calmly came inside, hung up my sweatshirt, and did the dinner dishes.
While I was doing them you know what I discovered??? I felt better. I felt happy, I was no longer bummed!! So I had to come and blog and share my little incident. I hope it made someone smile, and maybe even laugh, if not, I hope I will look back and read it again and smile again. And next time when I'm feeling bummed I hope I can laugh, and laugh good and hard till I have tears coming down my face, even if it is laughing at myself, who else better is there to laugh at besides me... and sometimes laughter IS the best medicine. :o)

3 comments:

Sarah J said...

I love this story. I'm going to make you tell it to me when I'm bummed. I loved this post too. You are so right, laughter is the best medicine. I have noticed that too, I can be soo sad and discouraged, then someone or something will make me laugh like that, and life just looks better. I'm sooo glad there is such a thing as laughing! :) Mom you are the cutest and funnest and sweetest lady ever. I just love ya! I wish I would have seen your little incident. This post made me laugh quite hard out loud, so thank you! You are wonderful :)

Kendall and Katy said...

You made me laugh! I could picture it, I can't believe you went out in that storm!

Alison said...

I love that you shared that! It made me laugh just imagining you out running around your yard flapping like a duck! Laughter really is the BEST medicine! You're the cutest!